Latvian Institute, 05.08.2014, Culture
Latvian Institute, 05.08.2014, Politics
- Latvia's Candidacy to Host EuroBasket 2015 Confirmed
Following the support of the government, Latvia has been confirmed as one of eight candidates to host European Championship in Basketball in 2015.
Latvian Institute, 05.08.2014, Sport
- "Latvijas Dzelzceļš" Freight Turnover Rises 4.7% in H1
The state-owned joint-stock railroad company "Latvijas Dzelzceļš" recorded a 4.7 percent increase in freight turnover in the first half of 2014, carrying a total of 30.8 million tons of freight.
Latvian Institute, 05.08.2014, Economy
- Air Temperature Exceeds 37 Degrees Celsius for the First Time in Latvia
For the first time in the history of meteorological observations in Latvia, air temperature exceeded 37 degrees Celsius on August 4, 2014.
Latvian Institute, 05.08.2014, Nature
- ''airBaltic'' Becomes World's First Airline to Accept "'Bitcoin''
Latvian national airline ''airBaltic'' has become the world’s first airline to accept ''Bitcoin'' as payment for the airline's services.
Latvian Institute, 29.07.2014, Business
- Saeima Approves Official Holiday Status for Closing Day of Song Festival
Government has approved amendments to the law on national holidays and remembrance days, adding another day to he list of national holidays.
Latvian Institute, 29.07.2014, Politics
- Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs Congratulates Lithuania
Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs congratulated Lithuania as the 19th member state of the euro area and emphasized that further enlargement of the Eurozone will contribute to the Eurozone as a whole and strengthen confidence in the single currency.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 29.07.2014, Foreign Affairs
- Latvia Plans on Investing Extra EUR 158 Million in Air Defense
The government has approved allocating extra 158 million euros for the improvement of air-surveillance and anti-aircraft capabilities of the Latvian National Armed Forces.
Latvian Institute, 29.07.2014, Security
- Latvia Registers EU's Fourth Lowest Government debt in Q1
Latvia's government debt to GDP ratio stood at 38.2 percent at the end of the first quarter of 2014 - the fourth lowest government debt across the European Union, according to "Eurostat".
Latvian Institute, 29.07.2014, Economy